Friday, June 8, 2007

Not even one drink...

I had posted this earlier on A Nurse Attorney's Thoughts, but because I am hearing from more nurses that have gotten themselves into trouble due to bad decisions while under the influence of alcohol, I am going to post the information here:

Do not take even one drink and drive because it is too costly: not only could you kill or harm yourself and others, but if you are arrested, you start down a course that can have extreme adverse results. DWIs/DUIs are expensive. A recent article in the Austin American-Statesman listed the various costs associated with a DWI. When I added up the high ranges for these costs it came to approximately $50,000 and that did not include recurrent costs such as drug screens. Then you are faced with the criminal repercussions. In addition, if you are licensed by a regulatory board, you will most likely be investigated for possible intemperate use.

For example, a nurse accused of intemperate use must prove his or her sobriety (the DWI or positive urine screen is used by the Board as evidence of the substance abuse). It takes a lot of time and money and produces quite a bit of stress to prove one's sobriety.

It is so much easier and cheaper to just pay for a taxi or have a true designated driver. Also, these decisions must be made prior to engaging in drinking because once a person drinks, their decision-making can be impaired and they will think that they are fine to drive. I represent many health care providers that are accused of substance abuse/addiction and they will agree - Not even one drink if you are going to drive!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your advise. Not even one drink....I have 2 DUI's in my past, the last one was over 4 years ago, and have a disipline on my licence, which just cost me a very good position at a well respected hospital. I am also looked down on by certain people in my current workplace. It's humiliating and embarressing. I hope as more time passes, my situation will improve.....