Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Buy Malpractice Insurance Now!

All nurses that provide patient care should have a malpractice insurance policy. It is not enough that your employer covers you under their policy, every nurse should have their own policy. I think with the financial situation, it is even more important to protect one's career and how horrible to have to go without legal representation or reimbursement for expenses because of financial constraints.

You most likely have health insurance, car insurance and home insurance. Isn't your job worth protecting? Isn't your career more important than your car? You may never get sued, but the number of nurses being reported to the BON is increasing. Insure yourself and be protected.

2 comments:

RehabNurse said...

Yes, yes, yes! I totally believe you.

I went to nursing school and they refused to discuss this openly with students. It really irritated me.

I suspect it had something to do with one of the administrators being on the State Board of Nursing, but as my lawyer told me, if you insure your house and your car, you should insure a career that can potentially cost you a lot of money if you are involved in a lawsuit.

That is the best $100 I spend every year. Best of all, it is, in many cases, tax-deductible.

Taralynn Mackay said...

I think the reason it is not covered in most schools is that they are still not convinced of the value and necessity of insurance for nurses. There are also still many nurses, including instructors, that believe and pass on the myths that keep nurses from protecting themselves.