Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Job Evaluations are not just for your job

Do you realize that your job performance evaluations are reviewed by the Board? Whenever a complaint is filed, the Board requests copies of your personnel file including your last 2 evaluations. The Board reviews the personnel file because they are looking for a pattern of problems.

Your job evaluations can help or hurt you. It is hard to argue that you were attentive to patients and focused on their care when your evaluation states that there were complaints about you spending your time talking to co-workers or surfing the Internet. It is also hard for your employer to complain that you were a problem nurse when your evaluations show otherwise. So, watch those evaluations and if anything is incorrect in your file, be sure to correct it because you never know when someone may be looking.

1 comment:

Jerry Stearns said...

I am an Arizona and Calif. RN who was investigated by the Board of Nursing when a job evaluation was found on audit. It involved my advocating/caring for patients when the interests of the patient were not seen as compatible with the agency's interest (i.e. not profitable to the agency). Another eval in a subsequent hospice employer was found during the investigation where as the weekend on call nurse I had to make decisions for patient safety by moving them to SNF's or different care homes and complaints from the offending individuals were put in my work eval.

The board of nursing offerred me 2 years probation but I instead declined and returned my expiring license, since I had moved to Cal. and didn't need it. I have since received a letter from Office of Inspector General for Medicare I will be excluded nationally which if implemented will end my career in nursing. If given an incorrect job eval. be sure you include a response justifying your actions and get a copy for later defense before the BON.